In August 1873, the Red Cloud
Agency was moved from the North Platte River to the White River, near what is
now Crawford Nebraska in the northwest corner of the present-day state. The
following March, the U.S Government authorized the establishment of a military
camp at the agency site. Home to some 13,000 Lakota’s, some of them hostile,
the Agency was a source of tension on the Great Plains.
The camp was named Camp
Robinson in honor of Lt. Levi H. Robinson, who had been killed by Indians
while on a wood detail in February. In May, the camp was moved 1.5 mi (2.4 km)
west of the agency to its present location; the camp was renamed Fort Robinson
in January 1878. Fort Robinson played a major role in the Sioux Wars from 1876
to 1890. The Battle of Warbonnet Creek took place nearby in July 1876. Crazy
Horse surrendered here with his band on May 6, 1877. Later that year, he was
fatally wounded while resisting imprisonment on September 5. A historic plaque
marks the site of his death.
In January 1879, Chief
Morning Star (also known as Dull Knife) led the Northern Cheyenne in an
outbreak from the agency. Because the Cheyenne had refused to return to Indian
Territory, where they believed conditions were too adverse for them to survive,
the army had been holding them without adequate food, water or heat during the
severe winter to try to force them into submission. Soldiers hunted down the
escapees and killed most over the next several weeks. The event marked the end
of the Sioux Wars in Nebraska.
Claims of events: Reports of
Soldiers seen on grounds, Indians on horseback. Claims of hearing horses at
night in park where Crazy Horse’s Memorial is.
Investigators on site:Robin,Laura,Jim,Dana
Equipment used: Digital
camera‘s, video camera’s,digital voice